Lizardfolk have been one of my favorite fantasy races for a long time. They are often depicted as primitive swamp-dwelling tribes, but there are other possibilities for lizardfolk and reptilian humanoids in general.
Saurians from the Titansgrave setting are the only official lizardfolk race for Fantasy AGE. The character rules for saurians make them adept with the technology of Titansgrave, but that means that are not a good fit for settings without the science fiction elements of Titansgrave.
I’ve recently been putting together additional reptilian races for Fantasy AGE. I wanted to focus on versions that weren’t the standard swamp-dwellers of Dungeons & Dragons, so I brainstormed a few possibilities by looking at different types of lizards found in the real world. Up first are the desert-dwelling Golanji who were inspired by the Gila Monster, Horned Lizard, and other desert lizards.
Golanji are semi-nomadic lizardfolk who are adept at navigating their desert homes. The average golanji is shorter than a human with a heavy build. The scales that cover their body are dark brown with white splotches. They have broad faces, wide shoulders, and short, wide tails. They are well-adapted to the rocky deserts where they live and require less water than other humanoids to survive.
Golanji society is composed of bands of various sizes that move between small outposts in the desert and often visit the nearby settlements of other races. Golanji bands tend to be temporary structures with various members joining and leaving over time. Golanji outposts are used for defense, storage, and caring for the young or elderly.
Female Names: Ajala, Falina, Hanah, Lassa, Nossima, Salaji
Male Names: Asmir, Fajar, Hafis, Majan, Nor, Tasif
Family Names: Golanji take their mother’s given names as their surname.
Playing a Golanji
If you choose to play a golanji, modify your character as follows:
- Add 1 to your Constitution ability.
- Pick one of the following ability focuses: Constitution (Stamina) or Intelligence(Navigation).
- Your blood contains a substance that causes it to taste horrible. A living creature that bites you must succeed on a TN 12 Willpower (Self-Discipline) test or be unable to attempt to bite you again until the end of its next turn. If the creature fails the test, it will also refuse to swallow you.
- Your speed is equal to 10 + Dexterity (minus armor penalty if applicable).
- You can speak and read Golan and the Common Tongue.
- Roll twice on the Golanji Benefits table for additional benefits. Roll 2d6 and add the dice together. If you get the same result twice, re-roll until you get something different.
2: +1 Willpower
3-4: Focus: Strength (Climbing)
5: Focus: Intelligence (Cartography)
6: Focus: Communication (Bargaining)
7-8: +1 Perception
9: Focus: Willpower (Self-Discipline)
10-11: Focus: Intelligence (Cultural Lore)
12: +1 Communication
One reply on “Fantasy AGE: Desert Lizardfolk”
[…] up on last week’s post with desert lizardfolk, here is another reptilian race option for Fantasy AGE. This version of lizardfolk is closer to the […]